10 Travel Hacks for Summer
Summer is a big favorite when it comes to travel. Because I travel pretty consistently, I’ve come up with some quick, easy hacks for summer fun! Let me know which ones are most helpful:
1. When you pack a suitcase, wrap your shoes in a shower cap. This keeps the dirty shoe bottoms from touching your fresh clothing. I’ve also used large baggies – I don’t really know anyone who actually owns a shower cap:)
2. Call your credit or debit card company before traveling internationally so that you’re authorized for vacation purchases. This one is crucial. I was in Italy and needed (notice the term here) to buy a tote…..my card had been flagged as being used illegally in Europe. It took more than an hour to get it straightened out via telephone. Make this call before you fly out and shop on!
3. Store your loose cables/chargers in an old sunglasses case to keep everything in one place. This is GENIUS….keeps everything together and keeps them from being bent at a weird angle and broken. I’ve also used baggies for cords (beginning to feel like a bag lady….).
4. Enable private browsing when searching or booking flights online. Keeps your search info private and safe. Especially important when in “high risk” countries.
5. When packing your suitcase, roll your clothes to save space and avoid wrinkles. It really does work! I also like to utilize those cute packing bags you can buy at any luggage store. Also remember to store wet or dirty items in separate bags.
6. Put your bobby pins in a Tic Tac container to keep from losing them. Is there anything worse than chasing these down in the bottom of your tote or suitcase????
7. If you forget the wall plug-in for your phone charger, check the back of your hotel TV. There’s usually a USB port. Magical, right? I love options.
8. Stick a dryer sheet in your suitcase with your clothes to keep them smelling fresh. This is great for your longer jaunts. Often, suitcases become “musty” during travel. I also like to take “fabric freshner spray/ febreeze” and mist clothing I use more often during my trip. This extends my ability to wear them before laundering.
9. Turn a cereal container into a trash can for your car when on road trips. This is MANDATORY when traveling with kids. You can simply empty it while you fill up with gas!
10. Buy a shower caddy from the dollar store and use it for easy eating. My friend told me about this one……the back of her SUV is INCREDIBLY organized….she has twins and must find everything immediately. This little trick has saved many a trip to the carwash for steaming. Keeps things from tipping and dripping all over your car.
Have you used a trick or hack to make summer travel easier? We’d love to hear it!