Book Chat – Make Your Bed by William McRaven
I love great books! It seems I have a couple going at all times. And, the Good Doctor and I binge-load our iPads when we travel. Pretty easy to go through an entire book in flight when traveling Internationally. I find it relaxing and I enjoy learning new things (I rebel against that old adage saying that one cannot teach an old dog new tricks). I feel like it keeps us current and our minds open and working. I have a couple of pals who feel that reading is such a great “common ground” that it helps them meet new people. And, it gives them something interesting to offer in conversation.
So, when CJ suggested Make Your Bed by Admiral William McRaven, I ordered it immediately. Such a good move. I’ve since given it to everyone. It’s a quick read, super simple and RIVETING. The book comes out of a graduation address William gave using lessons he had learned in getting through Navy Seal Training (No clue as to how these men and women get through even one week of it!!)
I don’t normally like words like “routine” or “ritual”. It feels like limitation to me…..but, I think the basic tenants William shares in his book are practical life lessons we can use everyday…..especially when life is “coming at you”.
The Book in Three Sentences
- Make Your Bed is based on Admiral William H. McRaven’s commencement speech for the graduating class from the University of Texas at Austin (available here).
- In it, McRaven shares the ten lessons he learned from Navy SEAL training.
- They are simple lessons that deal with overcoming the trials of SEAL training, but the ten lessons are equally important in dealing with the challenges of life—no matter who you are.
Make Your Bed – 10 Lessons
- Start your day with a task completed
- You can’t go at it alone
- Only the size of your heart matters
- Life’s not fair—drive on!
- Failure can make you stronger
- You must dare greatly
- Stand up to the bullies
- Rise to the occasion
- Give people hope
- Never, ever quit!
If you want to change the world … start off by making your bed.
I loved this little book of genius. I hope you’ll love it as much as I did. And, the holidays are coming up…..share it with those you care about – they will thank you for it.
Let me know what resonated with you most. You can leave a comment below.
PS. This was the topic of our latest Podcast. You can listen to the snippet at: rosannajenkins.com