5 IMPORTANT TAKEAWAYS I’VE LEARNED FROM MY MORNING ROUTINE
RATHER than going into “deep” mode, let me sum up a few things I’ve learned about morning routines since I started my own:
- They are CRUCIAL. If you think about it, you are setting the tone for your day and putting what you want first…first! This is an amazing feat for women who are quite used to taking care of others first…..
- Humans naturally have the most focus in the mornings, so your morning routine should be something that capitalizes on that inclination. Your routine should not take so long that you’re burned out before you complete it. If something like exercise drains you, maybe you plug that into your afternoon or evening.
- They come in all shapes and sizes! What works for someone else might not work for you, keep that in mind and don’t become frustrated when something doesn’t suit your routine. They also don’t have to look the same every single day. Change it up if it works for you. Try to integrate new practices and “test drive” them! This is YOUR routine….make it “designer”.
- Before you check your phone, get your morning routine done. Phones kill morning routines! True story.
- It’s really helpful to prep for your morning routine the night before – you feel more organized and focused! I like to plan my morning routine and be set to get it done. I also try to get an idea of what is going to be tackled immediately after my morning routine. This is not always easy……life comes at you, right?!
Obviously, there is more to consider here but, these are the 5 I feel have the most impact. So, knowing that, I wanted to update you on what my current/Fall morning routine looks like today. I really think morning routines need to ebb and flow depending upon what’s going on in your life, what your goals are, and what season it is! Doesn’t that make more sense?
I tend to travel a fair amount, and with the holidays coming it’s not going to settle down. I am NOT going to tell you that I’ve got this routine-thing down. But, I’ve been doing a couple things for months now, so they’ve become a habit in starting my day. I like to “test drive” something for a couple weeks seeing how it really affects me and whether I should integrate it into my permanent routine or not. So far, these are some things that work for me:
- Journal (I can usually get my 3 things down and then I begin to levitate out of boredom….)
- Quick “thank you” for all my blessings.
- Drink lots of water (again, my coffee addiction usually wins out here…..)
This takes me 30 minutes or so, but when I’m traveling, that’s sometimes all I have. The important part is to keep it up – which I have been, YAY! When I’m at home and not traveling so much, I usually dedicate an hour of time for my morning routine and love to go for a walk while listening to a podcast (ok, this is Dolce’s portion of the routine to be really honest), this gets me focused and makes me move. If I’ve been traveling, it’s what I’ve been missing most. Now that it’s getting colder, I’m not sure this makes sense – I’ll have to test drive it and see! Either way, I need to figure out how to move in the mornings, because that really serves both my mind and my body. I need to GET IT DONE!
If you are looking to change up your morning routine for Fall, I thought it’d be fun to throw out some ideas I’ve read about, tried, or want to try. These all make sense for the season. If you haven’t been doing a morning routine, all I gotta say is, please try one! Set 10 minutes away and just try it (even if that means waking up a little earlier…I know….it’s not easy), and do it for yourself! Remember, you definitely don’t need to do ALL of these below – keep it simple. These are just ideas for Fall!
- Make a healthy, warm breakfast. Warm food is actually easier to digest and this is a great way to add some health in the a.m. I LOVE oatmeal with different toppings or, a quick green smoothie (remember to include the FAB 4 ingredients: Protein/ Fiber (greens) / Fat (a nut butter or coconut oil) / Chia or Flax Seeds / 2 C unsweetened Almond Milk (or your fave milk).
- Light a candle and journal.
- Dance! Hear me out. Now that it’s darker for longer, and cold outside, it might not be as easy to exercise outside – and your energy might be suffering. Putting on music for 10 minutes in your pajamas to get blood flowing and in a good mood sounds fun right? PS. Close blinds/curtains……enough said…..there may be a police report on this issue somewhere…..
- List what you’re grateful for.
- Drink warm water with lemon. This is great for energy and digestion – plus it’s hydrating. Again, the coffee addiction…….no judging, please!
- Meditate or breath deeply, especially as life gets really busy around the holidays.
- Stretch while listening to a podcast.
- Drink hot tea while writing out an intention for the day.
- Read 10 pages from a book that inspires you.
Ok friends – I would love to hear what your current Fall morning routine is. Do you switch it up season by season? Do you have a morning routine at all? Let me know!