Not so long ago, I was a working mother of two, and now a working Nana, if there’s anything I’ve learned it’s that Momma’s got to eat, and she must eat well to give her body the right nutrients to create the energy needed to rule the world, or at least her corner of it. MAX OUT!
When we eat REAL foods, we have more energy, fewer mood swings, less bloating and boosted immunity. That’s because all those REAL foods give the good bacteria in our bellies something to chew on, extracting the nutrients and sending them on throughout the body, which in turn helps keep everything on an even keel.
If you’re finding yourself dozing at the desk by 10 am, or feeling lethargic by school pick-up time, it’s time to recalibrate your diet. In other words, start eating with a purpose! Eat to fuel yourself. Consider what you’re putting in your mouth, and how your body responds to it. You’ll likely find that REAL food, quite simply, makes you feel fuller longer and more satisfied.
During the week when we’re all running like maniacs, simple, nutritious meals that don’t require the skills of a Top Chef contestant are definitely the way to go – and if the prep time is less than 10 minutes, so much the better. With this in mind, here is a day’s worth of simple, REAL food options that will help keep bloating low, energy high and your mood right where it should be…..at MAX out level!
Simple Grilled Fish with Zesty Sesame Broccoli
To me, fish is the ultimate convenience food. It needs so little preparation and it cooks so quickly, it’s always been a go-to dinnertime staple in my house.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 8–10 minutes
1 lb wild-caught white fish, skin off / I like to use Salmon
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Herbal seasoning of choice
Step 1. Brush the fish with olive oil and sprinkle with herbal seasoning.
Step 2. Cook on a barbecue or hot grill pan for 4–5 minutes each side, based on a ¾-inch-thick fish, or until the fish flakes.
ROSANNA TIP: You can also spend even less time and buy Smoked Salmon from your local grocery store and serve it on top of a salad.
VEGAN TAHINI BAGELS (MAKES 3 BAGELS) :
1/4 CUP RAW TAHINI – new secret ingredient!
1/4 CUP ALMOND FLOUR/ COCONUT FLOUR ( I PREFER ALMOND BUT FOR NUT ALLERGIES GO WITH COCONUT)
1/4 CUP HUSK PSYLLIUM HUSK ( MOST IMPORTANT AND CAN’T WITHOUT THIS INGREDIENT ! )
1/4 CUP *WARM WATER ( IMPORTANT THAT WATER IS WARM)
3TBS INULIN POWDER
3TBS FIBER SYRUP OR HONEY
1TBS OLIVE OIL
SPRINKLE OF CINNAMON
1/3 DARK CHOCOLATE CHIP
1TSP BAKING POWDER
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 375F
- SPRAY BAGELS MOLD
- COMBINE ALL DRY INGREDIENT IN A MEDIUM SIZE MIXING BOWL MIXING AND MIX WITH WOODEN SPOON
- THAN ADD WARM WATER AND RAW TAHINI TO DRY INGREDIENTS AND MUST MIX BY HAND MIXER ON LOWEST ( MINE IS KITCHEN AID FROM AMAZON) AND MAKE SURE INGREDIENTS ARE COMBINED ! MIX IT WELL , IT WILL FEEL LIKE A REAL STICKY DOUGH!
- BY USING A WOODEN SPOON PASS BATTER INTO THE BAGELS MOLD, U CAN USE YOUR FINGERS TIP TO HELP SHAPE THEM
- BAKE FOR 25-27 MINUTES OR UNTIL TOOTHPICK COMES OUT CLEAN ( ADD CHOCOLATE CHIP ON TOP 10 MINUTES BEFORE THE END)
- LET IT COOL FOR 5 MINUTES AND ENJOY
- CAN BE STORE AT THE FRIDGE UP TO 5 DAYS
CAULIFLOWER MUSHROOMS RISOTTO:
- 1 TABLESPOON EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- 1 LARGE YELLOW ONION , DICED
- 8 OUNCES MUSHROOMS SLICED ( 1 BOX FRESH MUSHROOMS)
- 1 CLOVE GARLIC
- 1 TABLESPOON HIGH QUALITY BALSAMIC VINEGAR
- FRESH THYME & PARSLEY ( TO YOUR TASTE AND OPTIONAL )
- 1 BAG FROZEN CAULIFLOWER RICE ( OR FRESH )
- 3/4 CUP COCONUT MILK
- FINE SEA SALT
- SLICED GREEN ONIONS/ PARSLEY , FOR GARNISH
- BLACK PEPPER , FOR GARNISH
- HEAT THE OLIVE OIL IN A LARGE SKILLET OR DUTCH OVEN OVER MEDIUM HEAT. SAUTÉ THE ONION UNTIL IT STARTS TO SOFTEN, ABOUT 5 MINUTES, THEN ADD IN THE MUSHROOMS AND COOK FOR 5 MORE MINUTES.
- IF YOU HAVEN’T PURCHASED PREPARED CAULIFLOWER RICE FOR CONVENIENCE, THIS WOULD BE A GOOD TIME TO TO PREPARE THE RICE WHILE THE VEGETABLES ARE SAUTEEING. SIMPLY BREAK UP A HEAD OF CAULIFLOWER INTO FLORETS AND THEN PULSE THEM IN A FOOD PROCESSOR, OR GRATE THEM WITH A BOX GRATER, TO CREATE A RICE-LIKE TEXTURE, I ALWAYS PREFER THE FROZEN ONE FROM 365 WF BRAND.
- ADD IN THE GARLIC, BALSAMIC VINEGAR, AND THYME AND SAUTÉ FOR ANOTHER MINUTE. ADD IN THE PREPARED DEFROST RICE, COCONUT MILK, AND 1 TEASPOON OF SALT, THEN STIR WELL.
- BRING THE COCONUT MILK TO A SIMMER AND COVER THE POT WITH A LID. LOWER THE HEAT AND LET THE VEGETABLES COOK UNTIL THE CAULIFLOWER RICE IS TENDER, ABOUT 10 MINUTES. REMOVE THE LID. IF ANY EXCESS LIQUID REMAINS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAN, YOU CAN RAISE THE HEAT TO SIMMER IT OFF. ADJUST ANY SEASONING TO TASTE, ADDING MORE SALT IF DESIRED. (I ADDED ANOTHER 1/2 TEASPOON TO MINE– I FIND THAT CAULIFLOWER NEEDS QUITE A BIT OF SEASONING!)
- SERVE WARM WITH SLICED GREEN ONIONS/ PARSLEY AND BLACK PEPPER ON TOP. LEFTOVERS CAN BE STORED IN AN AIRTIGHT CONTAINER IN THE FRIDGE FOR UP TO 4 DAYS.
I love all of these and, trust me, they don’t take major chef skills!!
WHAT FOODS DO YOU EAT TO STAY HEALTHY? WHAT WINTER RECIPES DOES YOUR FAMILY LIKE?