DO THIS NOW.
Spending time just “being” during a typical hectic, busy day?
You’ve got to be kidding, right?!!! No way it’s ok to do that…
Turns out…we were wrong. Research indicates that 74% of people consider self–care to mean taking care of their bodies, while 57% think it means taking a mental break. 39% of men say they consistently make time for self–care while only 32% of women do.
NOT surprising, right?! Back in the day women were raised to believe that the largese of their day would be spent taking care of their family or friends. While most men road the testosterone train up the corporate ladder and played tennis or racquetball after work. Thankfully, these outdated ideas are changing.
The lack of energy or time are two of the most common reasons why we don’t practice self-care as much as we need to, but our financial situation or feelings of selfishness or guilt are HUGE factors. Many of us are of the opinion that practicing self-care makes us appear selfish when, in reality, that is far from the truth.
Taking care of yourself so that you have the energy to help others should be a non-negotiable! It doesn’t have to be super time-consuming or expensive. You can simply put “extra long shower on Friday before work” on your calendar and get some time in.
Need some inspiration? Here are some super easy and beneficial self-care ideas that you can start putting on your calendar NOW:
- Keep a diary or journal and write down any and all of your thoughts whenever you feel like sharing something, whether it’s good or bad.
- Take some extra time in the shower. Get that dose of Lymphatic Drainage in. Then, turn your back to the water, close your eyes, and feel the water run down your back as you take deep breaths.
- Establish a skincare routine. Take time to exfoliate your face and/or moisturize your skin.
- Take a nap. The 20 minute Power Nap is perfect if you can do it.
- Order take out and make it a date night at home.
- Do some yoga or go for a walk. You don’t have to do vigorous exercise to be physically healthy.
- Get into a social activity. Go to a group yoga session or join an online community that piques your interest.
- Buy yourself a new book and read. Reading is a great way to relax, and it’s also a great way to learn new things. I read EVERY night before sleeping.
- Play with your pet(s) or visit a humane society or pet store to spend time with an animal. Petting and playing with an animal is very beneficial to your mental health. And, they love you even if you look like a hot mess!
Self-care is something that we can’t and shouldn’t have to compromise on. We all have mental health, and it is vital that we nurture our health and well-being by practicing self-care, even if we take an extra long shower one night a week or order in take-out.
Never feel guilty for taking care of yourself. You deserve it.
What small step can YOU implement today? If you have a routine or item on your calendar that you do “no matter what”….let me know.
Stay well and Have the BEST day!